Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Dear Landlord

Along with every other thing that could cause anxiety, today I'm having "landlord induced anxiety". Here's why I'm worried: The roof over my head.
I've been living in this house for about six years. The roof leaks in several places. We don't complain too much, because the rent is low for the local market. As long as I've lived here, the landlord has talked about putting a new roof on the house, which would be a good idea. But I don't have much faith.
Today, I heard tromping on the roof. It was a young man taking measurements and planning the replacement of the roof. I talked, and he explained that he's our landlords daughters boyfriend. That somehow was a qualification.
Our landlord is a really nice guy, but he's cheap and unreliable. Over a year ago, he decided to re-paint the house. Today, half the house has primer, but no new paint. The other half still has the old paint.
So I'm worried about the "new" roof. It is November. While we've had unusually dry, warm weather, we will get snow sometime soon. I fear that the roof project will begin, and then be forgotten.
I'd really rather have a roof over my head for the winter, even if it leaks.

5 comments:

Suzy said...

Yes, but just think: you'll be able to build a snowman in your living room.

pygalgia said...

Yes, the artistic opportunities abound. But I'd rather be warm.

ellroon said...

Yikes! I roofed our house with composite tile once, but we added on a bay window just as I became pregnant with my daughter. So that area never was finished quite right. I used ALOT of wet/dry asphalt stuff in patching that area...

(Got the roof done again just a few years ago. No more leaks nor raccoon visitors....

ellroon said...

Oops... clicked too soon...
Stay dry and warm, Pygalgia! Plastic sheeting in bright colors draped on the roof might shame the landlord into doing something.

Or slather the wet/dry asphalt stuff over the leaks.

Hope your landlord's daughter doesn't get into a fight with her boyfriend before the job is done...

Anonymous said...

Here's to hoping that you'll be able to look up and not see sky from your bed.