Sunday, February 3, 2008

Blogroll Amnesty Day

[BlogRollAmnestyDaysmall.jpg]

Back when this blog was started, there was a purge of the small blogs off the blogrolls of the big blogs. The reaction was led by skippy the bush kangaroo and Jon Swift, who opened their blogrolls to all. Skippy and monkeyfister were amongst the first to welcome Pygalgia onto their rolls, and have continued to be very supportive of our humble efforts.
In "Blogtopia" (y!sctp), there is a wide gulf between the largest and smallest, with many thousand good blogs flying under the radar. I think there is a good analogy in the world of music: everybody knows who The Rolling Stones and Led Zepplin are (i.e. orange and blue), while thousands of great bands are known only to a small audience. The smaller blogs are like the local and niche bands that entertain there audience for little more reward than the joy of "the doing of the thing" (river runner phrase). We're one of those blogs that will never fill a stadium, but hopes to entertain our audience, like the local band. Blogroll Amnesty Day is a chance to recognize and share the contributions of the unique voices of smaller blogs.
When I was building my own blogroll, I chose to include blogs that I enjoy reading. I left the big names off, because I assumed that anyone who cared already knew them. So my initial blogroll included blogs such as Bark Bark Woof Woof, blue meme, hairy fish nuts, If I Ran the Zoo, monkeyfister, swerve left, and the peoples republic of seabrook among others. And I've been expanding it ever since.
While we're supposed to use this day to recognize "smaller" blogs, Pygalgia is pretty small itself. So I'd like to take this opportunity to recognize some of the wonderful blogs that have welcomed us into an ever expanding community.
DCup at PoliTits, Ellroon at Rants From The Rookery, Fixer and Gordon at the alternate brain, Suzy at Luminiferous Ether, Fran at FranIAm, Michael (Whig) at cannablog, and demeur and distributorcap are just some of the fine folks that I consider friends and neighbors. They send me love, and I try to send it back. Check 'em out, along with all the other fine folks on the blogroll.
I'm constantly finding new blogs, and they me. Just in yesterday's comments, I've met the ornery bastard and enigma4ever, both of whom I'll be adding to the blogroll.
So here's an open invitation: My blogroll welcomes small, new, or just interesting blogs. Let me know who you are in the comments or by email, and I'll add you to the 'roll (unless I find you offensive, which rarely happens).

9 comments:

Fixer said...

We're grateful you're a regular commenter at our place and enjoy coming here.

One Fly said...

Thank you for the offer Mr. Pygalgia as you are now on mine. Truely a super idea and I have work ahead to expand my blogroll with many whose opinions have much more credibility than the media whores we have now.
www.oakcreekforum.blogspot.com the address for"Outta the Cornfield" is fan of Flagstaff. In times past the locals as here enjoy giving you a rough time and I like that.

Unknown said...

thanks for participating, pygaglia, and good job!

Libby Spencer said...

I always enjoy your comments at Newshoggers Py and I'm going to pitch my personal blog The Impolitic for a place on your blogroll and put you on that blogroll today.

I post different content there and I've been adding co-bloggers.

http://theimpolitic.blogspot.com

Fran said...

Thanks for the link love Py! You know I love you and your blog.

Fresh thoughts, good photos, interesting conversation and the perennial Friday Boobies.

What is not to love?

Anonymous said...

Hey, nice place! Ornery Bastard sent me over. I just added you to my blogroll.

Peace!!

http://physioprof.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

We've added you to our 'roll over at Moue -- we're a little wet behind the ears yet, but hopefully all three of our readers will find you!

Suzy said...

Thanks.
I feel like I've been seriously remiss in not only not recognizing, but not visiting a lot of blogs lately. And of course today passed me by, because it's my daughter's b'day. I may have to celebrate tomorrow (a day late and a dollar short, as usual!)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link. It's not a day until I've been here. You are a favorite.

Stay warm, friend.