Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Voter Turnout

One major thing stood out to me on yesterday's Virginia primary: the turnout numbers.
If you need more evidence of which side is fired up, look at the results from Virginia. 972,633 Democrats voted in Virginia. Compare that to 473,500 Republicans. More than twice as many Democrats went to the polls in a state that is turning bluer by the day. And, Obama received almost 620,000 votes -- almost 150,000 more than all the Republicans combined.

In every primary and caucus, Democrats are showing record numbers. There are several reasons for this; hatred for shrub and enthusiasm for Obama are the top two. If this continues into November, I may even become optomistic. I also hope that this enthusiasm carries over to the "down ballot" races, like Donna Edwards win in Maryland, which could lead to a congress that might be worth having. OK, that's probably too much to ask for.

1 comment:

Mauigirl said...

I know, it's very encouraging, isn't it? I have my fingers crossed that the enthusiasm will continue to November.

Hope your cold is better; I just came down with one myself.