Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Observations

Yesterday I ran a precinct polling place, as I do every election. My precinct since 2002 is comprised entirely of University students, so I have an intimate view of that segment of the electorate. Yesterday's turnout shattered all records for the precinct, and by noon I knew that Obama would win based on that turnout. Simply put, the 'youth vote' has long been the holy grail for Democrats, and Obama succeeded in motivating the college students at a level that John Kerry failed to achieve. Observing the enthusiasm amongst these young people was a cause for optimism that I haven't felt in quite a while. As an election official, I'm completely impartial on election day, and only concerned with conducting a fair and legal election. But I'm not blind. I see who's voting and what their attitude is as they vote. Yesterday, the difference was palpable.
How much of a change Obama means for America remains to be seen. But the attitude of my younger voters was a clear signal that there is a change in the political energy that may be felt for years to come.
At least I hope so.
I admit, I'm a cynical old goat. For all that I like about Barack becoming our president, I'm still skeptical about how much he'll actually be able to accomplish. The poor bastard is inheriting one hell of a mess, and the republicans aren't going to go quietly into oblivion as a result of this defeat (though I really wish they would.) The challenges ahead for Obama and America may be among the greatest in our history, and a president only has control of a fraction of the unfolding of events. In short, this thing may be too broken for even a great president to fix.
But there is that small piece of optimism, that glimmering of 'hope' that I haven't felt in a long while. Maybe, just maybe, this country is turning in the right direction. Maybe we can create a better future. Maybe those young people that I saw voting can lead to dynamic new possibilities.
If nothing else, it should be a lot more interesting to watch than the ongoing disaster of the last eight years.

4 comments:

Mauigirl said...

I have never witnessed such excitement about an election result as I saw in this one. The polls were packed everywhere - so glad you saw the young people where you are. We saw kids drive by in cars yelling "Obama"! And lots of first time voters. I saw two young men taking pictures of each other in front of the "Vote Here Today" sign.

It is amazing.

I share your concern that he may not be able to do all he said he wants to do, and that the Republicans may prevent progress. I hope, having inherited this mess, he doesn't get the blame for it, which is what often happens.

But the way he ran this campaign, the calm certitude he had, the way he organized everything, gives me hope. I'm thinking he knows how to run things. Time will tell, and right now I'm still walking on a cloud!

DCup said...

Your experience mirrors that of my mom who also worked the polls yesterday as a judge in Indiana. She was stirred by the 70% turnout (highest ever in that precinct) and felt assured that Obama was driving the vote - either for or against, but what she didn't sense was any excitement for McCain.

I am going to give the new Congress and the new president the benefit of the doubt, but I'm also prepared to hold them accountable for getting good things done, started with repealing and cleaning up some horrible BushCo messes.

Demeur said...

This was not just the result of the youth vote. Check these NY Times electorial maps and you'll see what happened. America finally woke up and the shift is monumental.

http://theelectoralmap.com/

God it took them long enough.

Anonymous said...

好秘书 中国呼吸网 肿瘤网 中国皮肤网 癌症康复网 中国公文网 工作总结 个人工作总结 半年工作总结 年终工作总结 单位工作总结 教师工作总结 教学工作总结 学校工作总结 德育工作总结 财务工作总结 医务工作总结 安全工作总结 乡镇工作总结 党员工作总结 团委工作总结 公司工作总结 实习工作总结 班主任工作总结 党支部工作总结 办公室工作总结 学生会工作总结 工作报告 政府报告 述职报告 述职述廉 考察报告 自查报告 情况报告 调研报告 调查报告 申请报告 辞职报告 实习报告 验收报告 评估报告 工作汇报 思想汇报 汇报材料 情况通报 情况汇报 心得体会 学习体会 工作体会 培训体会 读后感 领导讲话 庆典致辞 节日致辞 开业开幕 演讲稿 竞聘演讲 就职演讲 比赛演讲 征文演讲 节日演讲 演讲技巧 工作意见 活动策划 工作方案 整改方案 实施方案 企划文案 营销方案 培训方案 应急预案 规章制度 法律法规 事迹材料 先进事迹 个人事迹 申报材料 学习材料 考察材料 经验材料 交流材料 自我鉴定 工作计划 工作规划 年度工作计划 学校工作计划 个人工作计划 团委工作计划 工会工作计划 单位工作计划 党支部工作计划 民主生活会 入党志愿书 入党申请书 入团申请书 转正申请书 党性分析材料 先教活动 整改措施 剖析材料 公告通知 模板范例 贺电贺词 常用书信 合同范本 社交礼仪 法律文书 论文