Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Baseball History



50 years ago today, Ted Williams swung a bat for the last time in his major league career:

Fifty years ago today, Ted Williams walked up to the plate on a chilly, overcast
day at Fenway Park and stepped into the batter's box in the bottom of the eighth inning against Baltimore pitcher Jack Fisher. He took his familiar stance, looked at the first pitch for a ball, swung and missed at the second, then drove the third pitch into the bullpen for the most famous farewell in baseball history.

Williams had gone out the way so many players dream about and almost none accomplish: He homered in his final at-bat.

"I was gunning for the big one," Williams said in the clubhouse after the game. "I let everything I had go. I really wanted that one."

Some tidbits about that farewell shot:http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=caple/100928_ted_williams&sportCat=mlb

OK, I was to young to know. But my Dad always said it was the most dramatic at bat he ever saw.

No comments: