Thursday, March 1, 2007

Dividing my loyalties

Blow for beer as biofuels clean out barley

Aargh! I'm a big fan of biofuels...but I'm also a big fan of beer. Please don't make me choose:

"One consequence, he said, could be a long-term shift upwards in the price of
beer. Barley and hops account for about 7-8 per cent of brewing costs.

Barley, which is used for making beer, whisky and animal feed, has seen
prices prices soar over the last 12 months."http://www.ft.com/cms/s/7f533724-c507-11db-b110-000b5df10621.html

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's kind of wierd because you can make ethanol out of almost anything like wood scraps, switchgrass, sugar beets, corn. Think I recall it being made from algae.

pygalgia said...

Quite true that you can. But corp America takes the easiest route. I actually plan to do a post soon on the algae to ethanol cycle. This was just a note on the current situation.