Friday, August 10, 2007

Equal Rights

I guess it's a small step forward to have the Democratic candidates address the LGBT community at the HRC/LOGO forum, but most of them sounded weak overall. It should have been an opportunity for one of them to show some courage. Only Kucinich and Gravel came out in support of gay marriage.
This should be a really simple issue...say it with me:"equal rights for all". See? it's not that hard.
Look, I'm a heterosexual white male. So I don't have a personal stake in the issue, except that I do. Discrimination is wrong. Period. Didn't we learn this during the civil rights struggle?
The right-wing christianists aren't going to vote for a Democrat, regardless of their stand on gay marriage, so there's nothing to lose.
I really wish I heard one of the major candidates showing the courage to say "equal rights for all".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And, sadly, Gravel didn't know what the heck he was talking about.

The rest of them should really know better, geez o pete.

The assertion that civil unions are the same as marriages...well, it is a slippery slope. I like that they were for civil unions, but why not call it what it is? Well, easy answer, they are scared or hypocritical.