Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Another Trip Around the Sun


I like to think of birthdays as marking the completion of a trip around the sun, and the start of a new one. Today, I start a new trip.

I came to be born on New Year's Day in an unplanned fashion, and in a city almost 100 miles away from where my parents lived, on this day in 1959. Back in the '50's it was still safe to drink while pregnant (a lot of things were still safe back then), so my parents went to a friends New Year's party in Santa Rosa, CA. I wasn't due until January 10th, so Mom was rather surprised when, after her 3rd glass of champagne, she went into labor. I was born at 6:45am.

Mom likes to remind me how bad my sense of timing is. Not only did I force her to leave a really good party before midnight (something my Mom would never do by choice), and give birth in a city far from home, but if I was going to show up early, I should have at least showed up earlier. If I'd been born before midnight, my parents could have claimed me as a tax deduction for 1958. Mom still thinks I owe her the money. (yeah, mom, if your reading this, I know your kidding).

My early birth was a portent for my life. I'm the guy who is always early to everything. I wake up early, and if I'm supposed to be at work at 7:00, I'll be there at 6:30. Want to meet me for a beer at 5:00? I'll be there at 4:30, waiting for you.

So now I've completed 49 trips around the sun, and am beginning a 50th. I'd love to tell you that I'm wiser and more mature, but I'd be lying. I'd give you some resolutions, but I don't make resolutions. I do have some hopes and plans though. Along with getting a decent job, I plan to spend a goodly part of 2008 working to elect better politicians to our government. Hope springs eternal.

And more blogging. I've had this thing almost a year now, and I've grown to enjoy it. I like communicating with all you people, and I really like the sense of another community sharing ideas and ideals. Also, it's nice to have someplace to rant, vent, and bitch about the various things that are wrong with the world.

So, welcome to 2008, and another trip around the sun. Thanks for stopping by, and sharing a little part of the journey with me.

9 comments:

Distributorcap said...

wow a Jan 1 1959 baby.....
next year is the biggie - dont fret -- if i can get past it ANYONE can

thanks for all your rants, vents and bitches -- they make me and everyone else a bit better...

may 08 bring you joy and peace and no more bushes, but lots of boobies

Suzy said...

Hey, you're my age. Well, 7 months and 20 days older, actually. Great birth story. MY mom told me that I was born in the doorway to the delivery room because she stuck her arms out and refused to be wheeled in, until they allowed my dad in with her. (My mom was a good story embellisher.) And I make it by the skin of my nose to just about everything.

Happy trip around the sun, and wishing you a light-filled new year!

Blue Girl, Red State said...

Happy birthday! It is also my mom's birthday - and my kid sisters. And my mom is a twin.

Lots of awesome people are New Years Blessings!

ellroon said...

Happy New Year to you, Pygalgia, and to many more trips around the sun!

Fran said...

Happy Birthday dear Py!!! What a great story.

And I do want to meet for beers one day, I think you would be fun to hang out with, drink with and talk politics and life with.

The best part is that we will both be there at 4.30!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday and Happy New Year, Pygalgia!

I wish you all the best! I'm glad that this blog thing has grown on you because I love my daily visits here.

Mauigirl said...

Happy Birthday and Happy New Year, Pygalgia! It's been great getting to know you and I look forward to another great year of exchanging ideas and thoughts on our blogs!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, and happy new year!

Demeur said...

Although a few trips around the sun older I was born nearly a month early and I'd be there at 4:00 waiting for both of you :)