Saturday, January 5, 2008

Odds and Ends from a Political Saturday

I spent the day working at the county Democratic headquarters. I was scheduled to help set up a computer bank, made up of leftovers from richer counties. But we also had a voter registration table. Both were fun.
On the computer front, the state party bought us a nice, new server. They also sent a dozen old computers. Some really old. A guy named "Ian" and I got to play "make a working computer" out of these parts. "I've got a working hard drive here" and "this processor is workable" were common comments. Ian had the best line: "If we were Republicans, we'd just buy new ones", but we're not. We got 8 operational systems out of them.
On the voter registration front, I found a lot of reason to be optimistic. We registered 30 people to vote, on a snowy, cold Saturday, and 18 of those were under 30 years of age. While I've grown skeptical of the "youth vote", I'm seeing more young people getting involved.

3 comments:

Fran said...

Voter registration? When you talk like that Py, I get a little tingly.

That's just the kind of wonky girl I am... voter registration excites me, what can I tell you.

(am i still a girl at 50? i think so!)

Also, love the imagery of cobbling together a working pc!

pygalgia said...

We actually got 8 working stations out of the 12 carcasses.
And, yeah, I get excited by registering voters.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for doing this good work! That was a productive Saturday!