Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Finch Fighting?

This is a little old, but: weird news that I almost couldn't believe (except that I can):


SHELTON, Conn. -- Connecticut authorities say they arrested 19 people and seized more than 100 birds in a house raid on an alleged bird-fighting operation

Wayne Kasacek, of the Connecticut Department of Agriculture, and Shelton police Sgt. Robert Kozlowsky say most of the 150 confiscated birds were saffron finches and that a few were canaries. Kasacek say some of the birds had previous injuries, including blindness in at least one eye, and may have to be euthanized.

Police say they made the arrests Sunday just as spectators had placed bets and were getting ready to watch the birds fight at a home in Shelton, just west of New Haven. Authorities say they seized $8,000 in alleged betting money.

Saffron finches are small birds that are native to South America.

» Report on WSFB-TV
Channel 3 in Connecticut (video, photo slideshow)




There are a lot of strange people in this world, but the thought of watching and betting on small birds forced to tear each other apart boggles my mind. But...I'm not sure. When, at the local pub, I proposed "worm racing" for a slow night's entertainment, the owner said "no way. that's cruel". I think "Finch Fighting" is far more cruel than a worm race, but I might be wrong.

No comments: