Sunday, July 22, 2007

A new book

This one's gonna be a "must have":
I just received an advance copy of my new book, Napoleon's Egypt: Invading the Middle East. I'm a proud parent and breaking out the virtual cigars. I think Palgrave Macmillan did a stellar job with the editing and production. The actual publication date is August 7.



This episode, all too little known, was the first instance of a modern European country attempting to invade, occupy and "liberate" an Arab, Muslim Middle Eastern region.

I have started a historical blog on the book as a place to put up some materials that
might interest readers of the book, as a sort of supplement. If I get time I may do some translating or posting of translated texts.

The first posting is of the relevant portion of a PBS documentary on Bonaparte, which covers the Egyptian expedition.

Enjoy!http://www.juancole.com/

I love reading Middle East history, and I love reading Juan Cole, so I'm sold. I've been trying to reduce my book hoarding (you should see my house-filled bookshelves on every available wall), but sometimes you have to indulge those guilty pleasures.
And, yes, you should read Juan Cole EVERY DAY.

No comments: