Monday, October 22, 2007

Thinking About Iraq

As I was reading Riverbend, I found myself thinking "how would we handle it if that happened here?"
Here are some simple parameters for this game:
Prior to the invasion, Iraq had roughly 25 million people.
4.5 million people are now refugees, either internally or externally.
At least 1 million are dead.
Look around your friends, your family, your community. Take out 1 of 6. Randomly.
(No, you don't get to choose which 1/6 you'll lose.)
That's a simple way to understand Iraq. 1 out of 6 people are gone. They are either dead or refugees.
How would YOU respond if that were the reality around you?.

3 comments:

PoliShifter said...

I wish more Americans would do an exercise like this.

The occupation of Iraq has been so sanitized, dehumanized, and treated more like a distraction than a disaster.

I think it would along way if people were not so sheltered from the horrible realities of what has happened in Iraq. But that wouldn't sit well with our government's agenda.

Bob Dylan - Masters Of War

zymurgian said...

Way to keep it real!

Suzy said...

That's a pretty concrete way of thinking about it. I'm going to use it.