Friday, March 16, 2007

Valerie Plame Wilson


Wow. Just wow. I've been watching Ms. Wilson's testimony before congress (yes, I do turn my TV on once in a while). Powerful stuff. This should put to end the right wing talking point of "she wasn't really undercover".
Transcript here:http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/03/16/plame.statement/index.html


"My name and identity were carelessly and recklessly abused by senior government officials in both the White House and the State Department.


All of them understood that I worked for the CIA and, having signed oaths to protect national security secrets, they should have been diligent in protecting me and every CIA officer."



When I first read Novak's column revealing her identity, I told Sweaterman I thought this was the crime that could nail Shrub. You don't blow the cover of your agents-it can get people killed, and destroy your intelligence capacity. Now it's clear that this is what happened.


"The harm that is done when a CIA cover is blown is grave but I can't provide details beyond that in this public hearing.


But the concept is obvious. Not only have breaches of national security endangered CIA officers, it has jeopardized and even destroyed entire networks of foreign agents who, in turn, risk their own lives and those of their families to provide the United States with needed intelligence.


Lives are literally at stake. Every single one of my former CIA colleagues, from my fellow covert officers to analysts to technical operations officers to even the secretaries, understand the vulnerabilities of our officers and recognize that the travesty of what happened to me could happen to them.


We in the CIA always know that we might be exposed and threatened by foreign enemies.


It was a terrible irony that administration officials were the ones who
destroyed my cover."

added: video here: http://www.politicstv.com/

No comments: