Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Complaining About Younger People



I'm kind of repeating myself,but every time I want to complain about the choices Obama makes, I remember that he's young...well, younger than I am. I found a certain discomfort when he entered office with the concept that the "President" is younger than I am; I know how immature I am. I want my "President" to be smarter and wiser than I am (and I have a pretty big ego).

I don't want to sound like my father, but I remember his main complaint about Bill Clinton was, that for the first time in his life, the "President" was younger than he was. Now I know what Dad was feeling.

And I have a theory: part of Barack's problem with the Senate is that the majority of the members are older than he is. And have more seniority. Senators have large egos, and most of them think they should be "President" someday. Obama was a "newbie" and a "kid", so he has very little "cred" with the "good ol' boys" who might have crossed party lines otherwise. So far, age and treachery have beaten youth and speed.

2 comments:

Fearguth said...

Thou art wise beyond thy years, Pygalgia!

Mauigirl said...

Interesting point, Pygalgia. I think you're onto something with this. I have to admit that as an older person myself I have found myself deriding the "kids" who work at the advertising agency and think they know how to advertise brands to people my age, LOL!