Wednesday, August 4, 2010

More Extreme Beer News

The High Alcohol Content Beer War Continues With 60% ABV Brew, called "Start the Future." The battle for the title of "most extreme beer" is getting crazy:

Hot on the heels of last week's news about the 55% alcohol content beer (which also happened to come packed in roadkill), a Dutch brewer has upped the ante with a brew purported to contain 60% alcohol by volume.

While the 55% beer had been dubbed the "End of History," this 60% ABV boozer has a more uplifting name in "Start the Future." It also does not come stuffed in a rodent carcass, which is a plus.

Additionally, Start the Future's price tag -- $45 for .333 liter -- is a huge savings over End of History, which sold out in spite of its $760/bottle price tag.

The battle over these high ABV beverages has seen a lot of good-natured ribbing between competitors. For example, when German brewery Schorschbrau unveiled a beer with 40% ABV, BrewDog, the Scottish company responsible for End of History, introduced a 41% ABV beer they called Sink the Bismarck!.

"It has become a little competition," said the Start the Future brewer. "You should see it as a joke."

http://consumerist.com/2010/07/high-alcohol-content-beer-war-continues-with-60-abv-brew.html


I love a good, strong beer, but I'm starting to wonder if at these alcohol levels, can it still be considered beer?

3 comments:

Fearguth said...

When they succeed in brewing a beer that's 200 proof, they'll call it Everbeer.

pygalgia said...

Ow!

One Fly said...

There was a beer in West Africa - don't know who the brewer was. Called Gulder I believe. Like 16% or something like that. Two would knock me on my ass. Of course now I'm a pussy and one of those would do me in for a week.

And the answer is that it no longer is beer.

Been talking to deputy's when I get a chance and every one says alcohol is involved in almost every call they go on. Very high 90 percentile range.

This society has major problems with alcohol.

Personally I like lagers and believe it or not Bud Lite in a bottle tastes like the beer I drank when I was a teenager.