Monday, January 28, 2008

Stop Scaring Me

Tonight, shrub will be doing the one thing that he's done in compliance with the constitution; that is to deliver the SOTU address. But this from the front page of the WaPo makes me nervous:

That is the problem Bush faces as he prepares to deliver his seventh and probably final State of the Union address tonight.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2008/01/27/ST2008012702356.html?hpid=topnews


I've generally been dismissive of conspiracy theories that shrub might somehow remain in power beyond his two terms by creating some sort of "state of emergency." I think shrub would like to get out of the pressure and leave the mess for his successor to deal with. That, and there should be open revolt if the shrub/cheney tried to pull a coup.
But now I have to indulge in some paranoia: do the Washington insiders know something that I don't?
Added: OK, there is another explanation:

Here's the skinny:

Finally, President George W. Bush is set to deliver his next State of the Union Address on January 28, 2008. It is widely believed that this will be his last address before leaving office on January 20, 2009, but assuming this is incorrect. Bush has the right to deliver either a written or oral State of the Union in the days immediately before leaving office in 2009. Presidents Truman, Eisenhower, Johnson, Ford, and Carter chose to do this. Presidents Reagan, Bush, and Clinton, chose not to.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Probably? Probably? What the hell?

Thanks for catching this and sharing.

Oh, and since you guys don't want to make waves about your roof (I don't blame you) maybe it's time we form a liberal blogger commune. I've got an acre in Georgia with "irritate the neighbors with a bunch of hippies and lefties" written all over.

pygalgia said...

I'd love to come and visit, hang out, and such. I've got a few friends in Georgia, and I've had a great time every time I've been there. But I love living in my little mountain town, where the slogan is "poverty with a view."

Anonymous said...

Oh shit, the SOTU is tonight? Is it too late to make up some SOTU Bingo cards? (you know, kinda like buzzword bingo)

Mauigirl said...

Whew! Glad you put in that coda explaining why it's "probably" his last SOTU. I was getting concerned!

Anonymous said...

As a public service, let me warn people to avoid the traditional drinking games, popular during SOTU addresses, for any Bush speech! Taking even one shot, much less two, every time Bush lies, says something that is directly opposite of what he does, mentions certain buzzwords, etc. is a guaranteed trip to the emergency room with alcohol poisoning!

Fran said...

Holy crap! Wow, I have been so blog-absent of late and look at what I am missing.

Sheesh I do actually worry about this.

BAC said...

Yikes!


BAC