Sunday, February 4, 2007

Bowl to Baghdad


This year the Super Bowl will be broadcast live throughout Iraq. I have to wonder if this sends a good image or not. Assuming that Iraqis have electricity to turn on their televisions, what are they going to think of our annual extravaganza? Hell, I don't know what to make of such a ridiculous indulgance and I've been watching it all my life. Almost all of America will focus on a bunch of very large men slamming into each other so that corporations can attempt to sell a bunch of worthless crap that no one really needs. (I may be wrong about this, but I've never found any real food at a McBurger and Budwieser has never made an actual beer). I have no idea what Iraqis will think about the broadcast, but I imagine there will be a lot of WTF?, they call themselves the greatest civilization while they create this? As an American, I will be partying like a good consumer. But I'll never fully understand why.

No comments: