Friday, September 7, 2007

More on the bin Laden Tape

Wow, that was quick. Too quick. A transcript from ABC is here (pdf). I haven't read it yet, but I'm skeptical. Previous translations of bin Laden's tapes and fatwa's released to the media have been uniformly bad. I'm unsure whether this is attempted disinformation, or that our intelligence agencies are low on translators.
I'm planning on viewing the original in Arabic before I draw any conclusions.
Added: Seems like all the likely Arabic web sites are down. Since the tape was scheduled for a future release date, I'm guessing that someone is upset that it ended up in American hands ahead of time. Maybe our intelligence is doing better than I thought.

1 comment:

Fran said...

Wow- the fear mongering. I just put up a post about that topic the other day.

I hate this kind of thing.