Monday, December 24, 2007

My Gift to You

My favorite Christmas piece:

Deck us all with Boston Charlie,
Walla Walla, Wash., an' Kalamazoo!
Nora's freezin' on the trolley,
Swaller dollar cauliflower alley-garoo!

Don't we know archaic barrel,
Lullaby Lilla boy, Louisville Lou?
Trolley Molly don't love Harold,
Boola boola Pensacoola hullabaloo!

Bark us all bow-wows of folly,
Polly wolly cracker n' too-da-loo!
Hunky Dory's pop is lolly gaggin' on the wagon,
Willy, folly go through!

Donkey Bonny brays a carol,
Antelope Cantaloup, 'lope with you!
Chollie's collie barks at Barrow,
Harum scarum five alarum bung-a-loo!


Walt Kelly was a genius. I can only wonder what he would satirize today.

2 comments:

ellroon said...

I grew up with a book of Pogo strips. As a child I could not figure the humor out, but as I grow older I find Walt Kelly has already been here.

Pygalgia, he'd probably wonder what we've been doing for the last fifty years. We've obviously not learned a thing and walked right back into another McCarthy era....

pygalgia said...

Sometime I'll post the story "dog-gone" about a dog called "freespeech" that Kelly wrote to chastise the weakness of the press in 1953. It's a masterful piece of alagory, and rings even truer today.