Sunday, July 1, 2007

Barry Bonds

I'm a lifelong baseball fan, specifically a San Francisco Giants fan. As Barry nears Hank Aaron's home run record there will be a lot of controversy. But this story has more than a few angles to it:

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - San Francisco slugger Barry Bonds has called for increased security at his home ballpark after a fan entered the field and approached him during Friday's game with Arizona.

Bonds, who is on the verge of becoming baseball's all-time home run leader, was told security would be beefed-up as he nears Hank Aaron's record of 755.

"This is about baseball players, all of us," Bonds told reporters.

"This is not my ballpark. I just work here... I'm an employee. All the employees should be protected."

The fan, Andrew Clapp of Fargo, North Dakota, rushed bare-footed onto the field in the seventh inning and ran towards Bonds.

Bonds put his arm around him and walked him off the field to waiting security.

"The guy jumped on the field, had his hands up and was screaming, 'I just want to shake your hand,"' Bonds said.

"I said, 'fine, some shake my hand."'

Bonds said the fan told him he had no shoes, no money, and nothing in his life.

"'I've been down in that neighborhood.' I said, 'Let's just walk back together, though, so those guys don't get itchy and throw you to the ground, and you can show them that you mean no harm."'

Clapp was charged was public intoxication and public trespassing, both misdemeanors. http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=reu-bondssaturdaydc&prov=reuters&type=lgns

Added: He made the all-star team

I think that Barry showed a caring side here. Whatever else you may think about him (steroids), he had the decency to make sure the idiot wasn't hurt.

No comments: