Friday, August 31, 2007

R.I.P. Michael Jackson


The good Michael Jackson , the "Beer Hunter" has left us:


LONDON (AP) -- Michael Jackson, a leading world beer critic who praised the brews of Belgium and acknowledged he would never be as famous as ''that Michael Jackson,'' has died. He was 65.


http://www.nytimes.com/glogin?URI=http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/world/AP-Obit-Beer-Hunter.html&OQ=_rQ3D2Q26orefQ3Dslogin&OP=1c65b390Q2Fes)Q2FeLFzBAFFK_eJGFQ7BTZQ7B)esFATLeqQ7DQ27UQ2FZKQ27g))AQ27Q3EQ7CQ7BK)AaPKNT


He was one of my personal heroes. I mean, making a living by traveling around the world tasting beer? How can I get a gig like that?
Actually, he was a great writer who always found the best words to describe the essence of different beers. His website http://www.beerhunter.com/ is a great resource for those who want to know more about quality beer.
Pints will be hoisted in his memory at many a happy hour today (including mine).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm suddenly thirsty.


.

Anonymous said...

What a shame that such an interesting man had to share a name with that other guy.

Mauigirl said...

So sad! So young! I would have expected him to live to a ripe old age enjoying his beer. We have several of his books. My husband brews beer for a hobby so beer is a big interest of ours.

zymurgian said...

What An outstanding chap. He never got to try my homebrew. But I sure got to read his incredibly elaborate, perspicacious beer critiques. Michael Jackson was pivotal in our understanding of just how complex and varied beer can be throughout the world. Without him, we might all be obliviously swilling weak, yellow, overcarbonated quasi-lager. Thank you, Michael. And thanks for the bad news, Pyg.